Our attorneys, and Ed Starr in particular, have extensive experience in helping policyholders in their disputes with insurance and reinsurance companies. Our team helps clients by interpreting the coverage of their current policy, providing advice on their claims, negotiating with their insurers, and assessing whether their insurance programs meets their needs.
We have represented corporations, partnerships, municipalities, individuals and self-insureds before federal and state trial and appellate courts and in mediation and arbitration proceedings. We also practice before state regulatory agencies which have jurisdiction of certain insurance matters. Ed lectures and authors articles on insurance coverage issues.
Some representative matters include:
- Obtained defense and indemnity coverage for an additional insured who asserted a cross-claim against the named insured for alleged failure to obtain insurance coverage for the additional insured.
- Obtained defense and partial indemnity coverage for a lawsuit alleging Federal Unfair Competition and Federal Trademark Infringement.
- Obtained a million dollar settlement from an insurance broker and managing general agent for alleged breach of contract and professional negligence.
- Obtained defense and partial indemnity coverage for a lawsuit alleging business torts and negligent infliction of emotional distress.
- Obtained seven figure settlement of a first party claim for Export Coverage which had been denied by the insurer.
- Obtained reimbursement of defense and indemnity expenses on a claim for which had been denied by the insurer.
- Obtained defense and indemnity coverage for a municipality for EPA ordered remediation costs resulting from the disposal of PCB-contaminated generators and oils.
- Obtained liability insurance coverage for a professional accused of fraud by successfully arguing that a company's fraud exclusion did not apply to a claim of constructive fraud.
- Assisted a corporation in presenting and prosecuting multi-million dollar claim for coverage under its Commercial Crime Coverage.
- Obtained defense and indemnity for a liability claim that an insurer had denied under its pollution exclusion.
- Obtained insurance coverage for a drug manufacturer whose insurer claim that the injury associated with an allegedly defective medical device did not first manifest itself until applicable coverage expired.
- Obtained reimbursement of defense costs which our railroad client was owed as an additional insured under a CGL policy after the CGL insurer refused to pay such costs.
- Successfully handled other coverage cases the terms of which we are prohibited from disclosing because confidentiality provisions instead on by the settling insurance companies.